At Thndr we believe that investing should be easy and accessible to everyone. We started our journey to democratize investment in the region by removing commissions, account opening minimums, and launching an intuitive platform with a focus on education. This way investing opportunities can be attainable to all, no matter their income level or expertise.
Thndr is an investment platform that aims to democratize access to investing for everyday individuals in MENA. For the people who use Thndr, our app represents a seamless way for them to achieve financial independence and growth, without the need to have prior financial knowledge or access to huge capital.
The company was formed to primarily address 2 problems: 1) Existing products are not relevant and 2) Financial literacy is low. We’re looking to solve this by focusing on education, offering a seamless and intuitive product, removing barriers and building an investment supermarket.
We launched in Egypt in late 2020 and currently allow our users to learn, connect & invest in the Egyptian Exchange, Egyptian mutual funds and the US Stock Market.
The journey ahead will be long and painful - it’s not everyday that you solve a basic societal necessity and at the same time change cultural norms. But the reward will be priceless. In our short journey we’ve validated this, as illustrated by these key figures:
- 96% of our investors are investing for the 1st time through Thndr.
- 54% come from outside of capital cities and have previously had limited access to financial institutions.
- 86% of new stock market investors in Egypt during 2022 came through Thndr.
- #1 platform in terms of local trades with 25% of EGX trades happening through Thndr.
We recently raised our Series A and our next steps as a company include the following:
- Continuing to focus on building the infrastructure. Sadly, existing solutions are outdated and don’t cater to scalable business.
- Expanding beyond Egypt and into the rest of MENA. We’d like to extend our impact to all Arabic speakers.
- Adding more products for people to invest in. To be relevant, we believe that we need to cater to all walks of life.
We’re still in the very early stages of our story, but we know for a fact that we won’t stop until everyone in MENA has equally opportunity to generate and grow their wealth in an ethical manner.
What You'll Do
Engaging in the Shaping Phase
- Joining feature shaping sessions, before the feature is added to our development cycle.
- Contributing to Feature Flow diagrams.
- Participating in feature onboarding prior or during spring planning.
Engaging in the Shipping Phase
- Researching and developing the features.
- Writing tests.
- Answering adhocs during your On-call Time (addressing customer reported bugs and helping support figure out what's up).
- Developing new user-facing features.
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Ensuring the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs.
- Optimizing application for maximum speed and scalability.
- Assuring that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end.
- Collaborating with other team members and stakeholders.
- Diagnosing and fixing bugs and performance bottlenecks for performance that feels native.
- Reaching out to the open source community to encourage and help implement mission-critical software fixes.
- Maintaining code and write automated tests to ensure the product is of the highest quality.
- Transitioning existing React Web apps components to React Native and vice-versa.
What You'll Need
- Experience with building a React application facing real users.
- Being an owner/responsible for a full product or large feature section of a product.
- Experience with Firebase.
- Experience with automated testing suites, like Jest or Mocha.
- Worked with a designer to deliver a feature.
- Worked with another engineer(s) on a product feature.
- Worked In an agile process (or aware and want too).
- Computer Science or similar degree background.
- Knowledge of functional and object-oriented programming.
- Rock solid at working with third-party dependencies and debugging dependency conflicts.
- Understanding of REST APIs, the document request model, and offline storage.
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3.
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS.
- Worked with state management solutions.
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX.
- Basic knowledge of image authoring and design tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image or design assets. Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus for images. Figma, Sketch, XD for UI.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (Git) and worked in popular platforms.
- Take Figma designs and convert them to Code.
- Work with overmindJS as this is our state management solution.
- Built Node or other server side applications dealing with system IO, DB, Shell, or other 3rd party applications.
At Thndr, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes. We’re looking for people that are hungry to become agents of change and that understand the huge responsibility associated with dealing with people’s money.