At Thndr we believe that investing should be easy and accessible to everyone. We started our journey to democratize investment in the region by removing commissions, account opening minimums, and launching an intuitive platform with a focus on education. This way investing opportunities can be attainable to all, no matter their income level or expertise.
Thndr is an investment platform that aims to democratize access to investing for everyday individuals in MENA. For the people who use Thndr, our app represents a seamless way for them to achieve financial independence and growth, without the need to have prior financial knowledge or access to huge capital.
The company was formed to primarily address 2 problems: 1) Existing products are not relevant and 2) Financial literacy is low. We’re looking to solve this by focusing on education, offering a seamless and intuitive product, removing barriers and building an investment supermarket.
We launched in Egypt in late 2020 and currently allow our users to learn, connect & invest in the Egyptian Exchange, Egyptian mutual funds and the US Stock Market.
The journey ahead will be long and painful - it’s not everyday that you solve a basic societal necessity and at the same time change cultural norms. But the reward will be priceless. In our short journey we’ve validated this, as illustrated by these key figures:
- 96% of our investors are investing for the 1st time through Thndr.
- 54% come from outside of capital cities and have previously had limited access to financial institutions.
- 86% of new stock market investors in Egypt during 2022 came through Thndr.
- #1 platform in terms of local trades with 25% of EGX trades happening through Thndr.
We recently raised our Series A and our next steps as a company include the following:
- Continuing to focus on building the infrastructure. Sadly, existing solutions are outdated and don’t cater to scalable business.
- Expanding beyond Egypt and into the rest of MENA. We’d like to extend our impact to all Arabic speakers.
- Adding more products for people to invest in. To be relevant, we believe that we need to cater to all walks of life.
We’re still in the very early stages of our story, but we know for a fact that we won’t stop until everyone in MENA has equally opportunity to generate and grow their wealth in an ethical manner.
What You'll Do
- As an Engineering Manager, you are responsible for overseeing a team of Engineers in the completion of engineering projects. Your duties revolve around people, growth, and process.
- Conducting 1 on 1s with team members to surface points of improvement and check-in our their development
- Shaping and refining work from our product roadmap with Product and Business responsible.
- Scrum-mastering the sprint by unblocking any lagging work items for teams.
- Monitoring team metrics for productivity bottlenecks and working on DX projects.
- Reaching out to potential new hires and conduct interviews.
- Participating in activities that promote our tech brand and improve our recruitment funnel.
- Hiring and training qualified engineering staff for your team.
- Communicating proactively with your team and the Product Manager.
- Identifying risks and forming contingency plans as soon as possible.
- Analyzing existing operations and scheduling training sessions and meetings to discuss improvements.
- Being aware of engineering-wide technical and people initiatives and be open to help if necessary.
- Updating work schedules and performing troubleshooting as required.
- Motivating staff and creating a space where they can ask questions and voice their concerns.
- Being transparent with the team about challenges, failures, and successes.
- Giving their team members immediate feedback if necessary.
- Establishing proper feedback loops in their team.
- Participating in regular performance reviews: for your team members and everybody you are regularly interacting with (Product Manager, Product Designers, etc.).
- Writing progress reports and delivering presentations to the relevant stakeholders.
- Maximizing team engagement.
- Facilitating technical discussions.
- Resolving both technical and social conflicts when you feel you need to step in.
- Pushing for high code quality by frequent code reviews.
- Ensuring the overall output quality e.g. whether delivered features are what was actually agreed, the quality of the source code, and so on. As a leader, you are responsible for the overall output.
- Mentoring team members when you feel they could be better programmers or team players in general.
- Bringing up difficult and/or systemic challenges and impediments to the attention of their Director of Engineering or other engineering management.
- Owning process of ticket creation and ticket quality, as well as effective grooming and planning. You make sure these parts are taken care of in a timely manner and at the most suitable depth for a performant team.
What You'll Need
- Senior+ Level experience in Product Engineering.
- Having 3+ years of engineering experience with different tech stacks.
- Having 2+ years of previous experience leading a product development or a growth team.
- Having a solid understanding of development and quality assurance methodologies and concepts.
- Having a track record of making an impact as an engineer and as an engineering manager.
- Previous experience in multiple live customer-facing products.
- Having experience guiding the continuous improvement of processes and technology.
- Thriving on providing and receiving honest but always constructive feedback.
At Thndr, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes. We’re looking for people that are hungry to become agents of change and that understand the huge responsibility associated with dealing with people’s money.
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying